Hello Symfony 4!
It's here! I am beyond excited to welcome today's release of Symfony 4! This is not just a new major version: it's an entirely reimagined developer experience. You will love working with Symfony 4:
- Automated package installation with Symfony Flex
- Auto-registered & autowired services to keep you coding, not configuring
- Micro: a new Symfony 4 app is 70% smaller than Symfony 3. Symfony is a micro-framework out-of-the-box!
- Performance: We've optimized and re-optimized every part of Symfony (benchmark #1, benchmark #2, benchmark #3)
- Conventions: A Symfony 4 app has a smaller directory structure, less "Symfony-ideas" and uses more standard ideas.
Ready to get started! Just run:
$ composer create-project symfony/skeleton my_project
And then follow the Setup Documentation. Have fun!
An Immense Community Effort¶
I want to thank the many people who contributed to this huge effort, which included 3,000 commits from more than 300 people over just the past year on the Symfony repository. The documentation has also been overhauled with over 25k lines changed in the last six months! Thanks to the passion from the community, Symfony is truly in a Renaissance.
For existing users, as always, thanks to the Backwards Compatibility Promise and continuous upgrade path (i.e. upgrading a major version is easy), you'll be able to migrate your apps to the new version, safely, and at your own pace. See the UPGRADE log for details on changes.
The biggest change (which is optional) is to move your project to the new Symfony 4 directory structure so that you can take advantage of Symfony Flex. For details, read Upgrading Existing Applications to Flex. We'll continue updating that page to contain the easiest and safest ways to upgrade.
Also many of the community bundles have already been updated and will work on your Symfony 4 application. But, we're still working to add support everywhere.
Comments are closed.
To ensure that comments stay relevant, they are closed for old posts.